Where can energy be found in the oceans and seas,
and how can it be harnessed and converted
for human use?
- > Close and parallel to the coastline, in shallow to medium depths
- > Caused by waves, wind or an uneven ocean floor
- > Cataclysmic
- > Caused by earthquakes, the eruption of underwater volcanoes or large meteorites
- > Seemingly
- > On the surface of seas,
oceans and lakes
- > Caused by the wind
- > Energy accumulated solely as a result of the animals' growth
- > Energy in the form of carbohydrates and fats
- > Convert solar energy through photosynthesis
The seas and oceans are teeming with many different forms of energy, practically all of which are renewable. The sun is the main source, generating mechanical energySum of the potential energy and kinetic energy of an object or system... from the major ocean currents and waves, chemical energy through marine organisms and thermal energy by heating the surface water. But the moon also plays a role by influencing the tides with its gravitational pull. And so too does the Coriolis force, which is generated by the Earth's rotation and affects the movement of ocean currents.
As the world transitions into a low-carbon future, the question is how to recover some of these enormous energy reserves to help reduce fossil fuelFuel is any solid, liquid or gaseous substance or material that can be combined with an oxidant... consumption.